snack foods

Moderator: Mandy

lisa
chocolate cheese citrus peanut quiche
chocolate cheese citrus peanut quiche

snack foods

Postby lisa » Thu Oct 14, 2004 4:49 pm

All things portable, filling, and yummy.

reborin
aquatardy

Postby reborin » Sat Sep 03, 2005 11:25 am

anything w/hummus is considered a snack by me...bigger amounts constitute side dishes (or meals).

carrots, crackers, falafal, mixed veggies (raw), etc.
When we can't find peace in ourselves it is vain to look for it elsewhere.

Blog Shlog

pixiexto
Crumbs on the brain

Postby pixiexto » Sat Sep 03, 2005 12:30 pm

Oh Andy, you MUST try my recipe for hummous then! (hummus? hummous? Is this an american/canadian thing, or can I simply not spell? ;) )

It's here

http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=justveg

I also posted a recipe (very loosely fits the definition for recipe) for roasted chickpeas, right below the hummous.

I think it's safe to say I'm on a chickpea kick!
someday is today.

pixiexto
Crumbs on the brain

FRUIT LEATHER

Postby pixiexto » Tue Sep 06, 2005 12:05 pm

(inspired by Andy and her fruit leather adventures :D)

Fruit Leather from LLL's "Whole Foods for the Whole Family"

1 - 1 1/2 lbs (or more) of ripe fruit
1 T - 1/4 C water (if needed)

Optional:
1T - 1/2 C honey
ground spices such as cinnamon, cloves, ginger, allspice
flavorings such as vanilla, grated orange rind or lemon rind

Peel, pit and cut up fruit such as peaches, plums, nectarines, strawberries, etc. Puree in food processor or blender, adding water as necessary for desired consistency. Add optional ingredients, if you wish. The consistency should be like applesauce.

Core and slice firmer fruits such as apples/pears. Steam or boil fruit in 1/4 C water for 3-5 minutes. Puree with skins. Cool and force through a sieve. Add options to taste.

Drain canned / frozen fruits; boil down juice. Rehydrate dried fruits in hot water and puree. As above, the consistency should be like applesauce. Boil down thin puree if needed.

Line one cookie sheet or drying screen for each 2 C of puree with heavy plastic wrap, securing corners. Spread puree 1/8 " thick. Dry in food dehydrator or outside in the sunshine (cover with mesh / cheesecloth to protect from insects). OR dry in oven at 120-140 degrees Celsius; open oven door periodically to let out moisture. Also can use rear window of vehicle (:lol) parked in the sun or top of a wood stove. Dry for 1-2 days, depending on humidity and moisture of fruit. Dry until no sticky/moist spots remain.

Remove from baking sheet and plastic and roll. Store in airtight container in dry place.

Sounds great!! I love that they cover every possibility - - - fresh fruit, dry fruit, canned or frozen. Plus the details for each type of fruit. I'll be making some raspberry & peach fruit leather later I think! :mrgreen
someday is today.

Works

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 23, 2005 9:20 pm

Oh Andy, you MUST try my recipe for hummous then! (hummus? hummous? Is this an american/canadian thing, or can I simply not spell?

That works so well for me, thanks.

reborin
aquatardy

Postby reborin » Wed Sep 28, 2005 9:50 pm

Kathy - made the tasty snackin chickers and WOW! Those are good! As good as the fried garlic I used to make eons ago and just EAT. I don't think it's as good for you as raw garlic, but it's tasty. Beca said they were too spicy, maybe too much cayenne (just a little, but I guess w/the sea salt and the garlic, it was a little much for her), but she ate about half a cup of them anyway :lol

Thanks guest (darned Barry person, budging in on our food - go scratch your balls, you big hairy chickpea eating ape) :wave

Blog Shlog

human_being
Iris + Camille =
Iris + Camille =

Postby human_being » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:50 am

I am into apples with slices of fresh parmesean as a snack right now. Heidi

human_being
Iris + Camille =
Iris + Camille =

Postby human_being » Sun Oct 16, 2005 1:53 am

I add a handful of fresh basil to my hummus sometimes, and it makes it extra tasty, and pesto like!

I also eat some combo of avocado, tomatoes, boiled egg, on crisp breads like wasa crackers with some pesto as a snack. Classico makes a cheap pesto you can get in the store, and its easy to make your own if you grow basil or have a farmers market.

Heidi

pixiexto
Crumbs on the brain

Falling leaves... means it's time for Pumpkin Muffins!!!

Postby pixiexto » Tue Oct 18, 2005 9:00 am

We made these yesterday, and they are *so* yummy. Very toddler-friendly to prepare, too!

PUMPKIN MUFFINS

1 C whole wheat flour
1 1/4 C regular ol' flour
1 C brown sugar
1 T baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1/8 tsp ground cloves
1 1/4 C pumpkin puree
1/2 C soy milk
egg replacer to = 2 eggs
3 T Margarine
2 rounded T Unsweetened Applesauce

Preheat oven to 350F. Spray two muffin tins.

In a big bowl, mix together the whole wheat flour, the sugar, bkaing powder, cinnamon, salt, baking soda, nutmeg and cloves.

In a small bowl, combine pumpkin, soy milk, egg replacer, margarine & applesauce. Beat with electric mixer.

Combine pumpkin mixture with dry mixture and beat well with mixer. Add the all-purpose flour and beat well.

Spoon mixture into the two muffin tins. This should make 12 muffins.

bake for an hour (ours took about 50 minutes), until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
someday is today.

reborin
aquatardy

Postby reborin » Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:58 am

Ori's favorite snackin mix

1/2c. cooked brown rice (1/2 cup before cooking, but it needs to be cooked in this recipe)
1/4 c lentils (I happen to like the red ones, myself. they cook more thoroughly)
a handfull of garden or petite peas
1 large diced carrot
1 small diced onion
1/2 cup sliced shrooms

I cook the rice separately, then mix in the rice at the end. I make it slightly smooshy but not sticky. VERY healthful, messy and yummy :D

Blog Shlog

human_being
Iris + Camille =
Iris + Camille =

Tahini Cookies

Postby human_being » Wed May 10, 2006 9:18 pm

Haven't tried this but found it after a quick search for tahini recipes, sounds good.

Tahini Cookies
Submitted by: Vanessa
"This cookie recipe uses tahini (sesame seed butter purchased at a health food store or home made), also uses oatmeal, no flour, no sugar, no eggs and no dairy products. As variation, add chopped apples, raisins or dates."
Original recipe yield: 3 dozen.
Prep Time:15 MinutesCook Time:10 MinutesReady In:25 MinutesServings:36 (change)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

INGREDIENTS:
6 tablespoons tahini
1/2 cup honey
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups quick cooking oats
1/2 cup chopped walnuts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets.
In a medium bowl, stir together the tahini, honey and cinnamon. Mix in walnuts and oats until well blended. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart.
Bake for 10 minutes in the preheated oven, or until edges are slightly brown. Cool on the baking sheet for a few minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.

Return to “Appetizers, Beverages and Snacks”