Luscious Lentils

Moderator: Mandy

avivaelona
Mr Doran just bit my boob
Mr Doran just bit my boob

Luscious Lentils

Postby avivaelona » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:49 pm

I'm looking for good Lentil recipes, I have one of Lentils and tomatos from Madhur Jaffries book and we are going to try to find one for Lentil Ginger soup, but other ones would be appreciated. Dairy free and baby friendly are a plus!

E.
Adulthood isn't an award they'll give you for being a good child... No. You have to just... take it. Give it to yourself, I suppose.-- Lois McMaster Bujold

Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/spryngtree/

reborin
aquatardy

Postby reborin » Tue Mar 07, 2006 7:58 pm

oooh - I've got the baby friendly lentil thing going on here!

mushrooms - sautee w/onion both diced small
lentils (red get the mushiest, but green work too), about 1/2 a cup
brown rice - 1/2 cup
other rice (we use Basmati, but wild or jasmin or any kind works!) about 1/2 cup
boil up the rice and lentils together. Add the shrooms. I love using green onions.

When it's ready, I add in some peas (frozen or fresh) and let them sit in the pot and steam. I also add in diced small carrots and spinich finely chopped. This he LOVES! It's sticky so he can grab chunks and shove shove shove :D
When we can't find peace in ourselves it is vain to look for it elsewhere.

Blog Shlog

laura
forever in our hearts

Postby laura » Wed Mar 29, 2006 6:40 am

sounds easy and yummy Andy!

i made this last night and it was scrumptious
i added some spinach to the lentil mix, i supppose you could add any veggies that you'd like

Lentil Shepherds Pie

Ingredients (use vegan versions):

1 can lentils (or equivalent cooked lentils if using dried)
1 can diced tomatoes
1 medium onion, chopped
mashed potatoes
a few cloves of garlic
dried herbs - basil, oregano, thyme, rosemary, etc.
splash olive oil, margarine, or water (for sautéing onions in)
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Prepare mashed potatoes - make sure that theyre soft enough to be easy enough to spread on top of the filling so be sure to add plenty of water or soymilk to them!

In a large saucepan, sauté onions and garlic until soft. use as much garlic as you wish.. I personally like it with plenty of garlic!

Add lentils, canned tomatoes, as well as dried herbs.. use whichever herbs or combination of herbs as suits you, and as much as suits you. season with salt and pepper.

Spoon mixture into a large casserole dish or lasagna pan. you may omit some of the juices if filling seems too watery. spread a layer of mashed potatoes on top.

Place in oven and bake for 40-45 minutes or until potato topping is slightly browned.

Return to “Soups, Salads, and Sides”