Green Onion Cakes

Moderator: Mandy

Crumbs on the brain

Green Onion Cakes

Postby pixiexto » Sat Mar 25, 2006 10:19 am

1 cup white flour (these ain't meant to be healthy)
1/2 C boiling water
1/2 C finely sliced green onions
sesame oil
canola oil

Add boiling water to flour in a bowl. Stir to form a dough. If the dough seems too dry, you can sprinkle in a bit of cold water until it is the right consistency.

Divide dough ball into 3 pieces. Roll each one out, in turn, very thin. Dot on some sesame oil and smooth over surface of dough with your hand (or a pastry brush, if you're the fancy type). Sprinkle with a bit of salt, then sprinkle over some green onion slices (I do this by eye, but basically you use 1/3 of the 1/2 Cup).

What you do now is roll the flat "pancake" up like a jelly-roll. Then, once it is rolled, turn it sideways and roll it again so that it's like a snail. Then, turn it on it's side and flatten it into a circle. (it will look like a slightly-coiled circle)

With your rolling pin, roll it out to 6" or so.

Heat canola oil in a pan. I just spray the pan liberally with canola oil, but I know my Mom uses more. I think they are usually done a bit more on the oily side, I just prefer a bit less. When the oil is hot, add the onion cake and cook until browned on both sides (1-2 minutes per side, depending on size of cake and hotness of pan)

Mix up a combination of soy sauce & rice vinegar (with or without a touch of chile paste) to dip. I think I use about 3:1 soy sauce to vinegar?? I never measure. Just splash & taste :)
someday is today.

Postby reborin » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:42 am

Thanks Kathy! They sound delish!!!
When we can't find peace in ourselves it is vain to look for it elsewhere.

Blog Shlog

Return to “Soups, Salads, and Sides”