Serve with salsa, guacamole or plain yogurt for dipping.
1 lg yam, peeled and cut into chunks.
1 TLB olive oil
1 small onion diced small
2 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp chili powder
2-3 cups cooked black beans, well drained
sea salt to taste
Brown Rice, Whole Wheat or Corn (what I use) Tortillas.
Spinach or arugula leaves
Grated organic cheese (opt)
1. Preheat oven to 400 F. Pur yam chunks into baking dish and add about 1/4 inch of water. Cover and bake for about 35 mins or until very tender.
2. To make the beans, heat a large skillet over med heat. Add the olive oil, then onions. Saute for about 5-7 mins or until tender.
3. Add cumin, chili powder, black beans and salt. Mash with a fork as you heat them with the onions. Continue turning and smashing until you like the consistency.
4. In a clean 10" skillet, add one tortilla then spread a layer of black beans, spinach leaves and cheese if desired. Then add a few chunks of yams and smash them with a fork. Top with another tortilla. Heat over med heat for about 2 mins then flip the quesadilla and heat the other side for another 2 mins. The trick to making these is to make sure you don't add too much filling.
5. Transfer to a plate and cut into slices with a pizza cutter.